1. Don’t skip breakfast – Skipping breakfast won’t help you lose weight. You could miss out on essential nutrients and you may end up snacking more throughout the day because you feel hungry.
2. Eat regular meals -Eating at regular times during the day helps burn calories at a faster rate. It also reduces the temptation to snack on foods high in fat and sugar.
3. Eat plenty of fruit and veg -Fruit and veg are low in calories and fat, and high in fibre 3 essential ingredients for successful weight loss. They also contain plenty of vitamins and minerals. Be aware though – fruit contains sugar!
4. Get more active – Being active is key to losing weight and keeping it off. Exercise can help burn off the excess calories you can’t cut through diet alone. Find an activity you enjoy and are able to fit into your routine.
5. Drink plenty of water – People sometimes confuse thirst with hunger. You can end up consuming extra calories when a glass of water is really what you need.
6. Eat high-fibre foods – Foods containing lots of fibre can help keep you feeling full, which is perfect for losing weight. Fibre is only found in food from plants, such as fruit and veg, oats, wholegrain bread, brown rice and pasta, and beans, peas and lentils.
7. Read food labels – Knowing how to read food labels can help you choose healthier options.
8. Use a smaller plate – Using smaller plates can help you eat smaller portions. By using smaller plates and bowls, you may be able to gradually get used to eating smaller portions without going hungry. It takes about 20 minutes for the stomach to tell the brain it’s full, so eat slowly and stop eating before you feel full.
9. Don’t ban foods – Don’t ban any foods from your weight loss plan, especially the ones you like. Banning foods will only make you crave them more.
10. Don’t stock junk food – To avoid temptation, try to not stock junk food – such as chocolate, biscuits, crisps and sweet fizzy drinks at home. Instead, opt for healthy snacks, such as fruit, unsalted rice cakes and oat cakes, .
11. Cut down on alcohol – A standard glass of wine can contain as many calories as a piece of chocolate. Over time, drinking too much can easily contribute to weight gain. Find out more about the.
12. Plan your meals – Try to plan your breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks for the week. You may find it helpful to make a weekly shopping list.